Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trading in My Running Sneakers

Just for the evening, as I decided to subject myself to a cardio-kickboxing class at my gym. It is interesting how you think you are in the best shape of your life and then you decide to take a class that works muscles you never knew existed. That is exactly what happened to me tonight.

There were weights, there was an evil step and then there were squats... so many squats.. and then there were squats with weights. I thought my legs were strong until I did about 100 squats and now my legs are jello. I think it is good that my legs feel this way, that my abs feel like they are going to burst like a can of soda which has been shaken up and I suppose it is good that my face is still flushed even an hour after the class and after a warm shower.

All in all, a successful class. I did not pass out, I lasted the entire class and I feel pretty energized. Now it is time to calm it down a bit so I can eventually get to sleep. The only down fall to taking a high-energy class like kickboxing so late at night, is the wind down period. Which brings me to my question for all.

Whether you run, hike, walk or take kickboxing.. do you prefer to work out at night, in the morning, or (if you are one of the lucky ones) in the middle of the day. Do you notice a difference in your energy levels or mood depending on when you work out?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE working out in the morning. Getting in a work out and shower before Olivia gets up is the best! Although...it is very difficult to get my butt out of bed in time (she wakes up at 7!). Lately I have been doing work out videos during her nap ;) But I find the feeling after I work out in the morning much more rewarding!
-Shannon

Unknown said...

I have a love/hate relationship with my morning runs. the 4:30am alarm is far from fun but I find it the only way to get my run in and I'm a much nicer person for the rest of the day.

As for the pm runs they keep me up way too late. I can't ever seem to come down from those runs.